Wednesday 26 September 2012

George Harrison of " The Beatles "



George Harrison of “The Beatles”
Yesterday  I read a blog post of my  son-in-law , Sri. Ananda Subramanian  about George Harrison’s  music album “ My Sweet Lord ‘  and viewed his  live  performance  , seeking   Sweet Lord to really want to see HIM.  The link is given to view :
 In the introduction Harrison wrote for Swami Prabhupada's book Krsna, he says: "If there's a God, I want to see Him. It's pointless to believe in something without proof, and Krishna consciousness and meditation are methods where you can actually obtain God perception. In that way you can see, hear & play with God. Perhaps this may sound weird, but God is really there next to you."
The song lyrics goes like this ;
 My sweet lord
Hm, my lord
Hm, my lord

I really want to see you
Really want to be with you
Really want to see you lord
But it takes so long, my lord

My sweet lord
Hm, my lord
Hm, my lordI really want to know you
Really want to go with you
Really want to show you lord
That it won't take long, my lord (hallelujah)

My sweet lord (hallelujah)
Hm, my lord (hallelujah)
My sweet lord (hallelujah)

I really want to see you
Really want to see you
Really want to see you, lord
Really want to see you, lord
But it takes so long, my lord (hallelujah)

My sweet lord (hallelujah)
Hm, my lord (hallelujah)
My, my, my lord (hallelujah)

I really want to know you (hallelujah)
Really want to go with you (hallelujah)
Really want to show you lord (aaah)
That it won't take long, my lord (hallelujah)

Hmm (hallelujah)
My sweet lord (hallelujah)
My, my, lord (hallelujah)

Hm, my lord (hare krishna)
My, my, my lord (hare krishna)
Oh hm, my sweet lord (krishna, krishna)
Oh-uuh-uh (hare hare)

Now, I really want to see you (hare rama)
Really want to be with you (hare rama)
Really want to see you lord (aaah)
But it takes so long, my lord (hallelujah)

Hm, my lord (hallelujah)
My, my, my lord (hare krishna)
My sweet lord (hare krishna)
My sweet lord (krishna krishna)
My lord (hare hare)
Hm, hm (Gurur Brahma)
Hm, hm (Gurur Vishnu)
Hm, hm (Gurur Devo)
Hm, hm (Maheshwara)
My sweet lord (Gurur Sakshaat)
My sweet lord (Parabrahma)
My, my, my lord (Tasmayi Shree)
My, my, my, my lord (Guruve Namah)
My sweet lord (Hare Rama)

[fade:]

(hare krishna)
My sweet lord (hare krishna)
My sweet lord (krishna krishna)
My lord (hare hare)
My reminiscence goes back to 1960s’ .   “The Beatles “ – a pop group formed in 1960 with a four member team of Liverpool : John Lennon , Paul McCartney , Ringo Starr and the youngest of all George Harrison build their reputation by playing initially in clubs and become the best selling band in history.
In my adolescent age , I was also affected by  Beatlemania and crazy to listen in radios and transistors , their famous albums repeatedly . To name a few  still I can sing , Let it be.., Ob-la-di Ob-la-da . All my Loving , Yellow Submarine , Help , Hey Jude , A Hard Day’s Night . I have painted the images of the Four in the wall under the staircase , my  study  den of Mylapore home in 1960s'. many won't believe that last month I bought a set of  pinup badges with the photos of Beatles and Yellow submarine album cover in Landmark !
In 1970, the team broke up but they individually produced albums.  I read an article titled  ‘Harrison and Hindhuism “ by Subhamoy Das  in About.com which gave me more insight on the life style of George Harrison and wish to share  selected  passages through this media.





George Harrison




He and fellow Beatle John Lennon met Swami Prabhupada, the founder of the global Hare Krishna Movement, at Tittenhurst Park, England. This introduction was to Harrison "like a door opened somewhere in my subconscious, maybe from a previous life."
 Harrison once said, "Imagine all the workers on the Ford assembly line in Detroit, all of them chanting Hare Krishna Hare Krishna while bolting on the wheels..."
Harrison's albums The Hare Krishna Mantra, My Sweet Lord, All Things Must Pass, Living in the Material World and Chants of India were all influenced to a great extent by the Hare Krishna philosophy. His song "Awaiting on You All" is about japa-yoga. The song "Living in the Material World," which ends with the line "Got to get out of this place by the Lord Sri Krishna's grace, my salvation from the material world" was influenced by Swami Prabhupada. "That Which I Have Lost" from the album Somewhere in England is directly inspired by the Bhagavad Gita. For the 30th anniversary re-issue of his All Things Must Pass (2000), Harrison re-recorded his ode to peace, love and Hare Krishna, "My Sweet Lord," which topped the American and British charts in 1971. Here Harrison wanted to show that "Hallelujah and Hare Krishna are quite the same thing."
 He also said: "The living thing that goes on, always has been, always will be. I am not really George, but I happen to be in this body."
George Harrison passed away on November 29, 2001 at the age of 58. The images of Lord Rama and Lord Krishna were beside his bed as he died amidst the chants and prayers. Harrison left £ 20 million for the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON). Harrison wished that his earthly body be cremated and the ashes immersed in the Ganges, near the holy Indian city of Varanasi.
 He would have attained the abode of his ( our )  Sweet Lord as he really want to see Him ….as a true devotee.  All of us are in the que to really want to see HIM , by chanting the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra .
George's first solo single, and incredibly, George is the first to have a number 1 as a solo Beatle.
This record is the third ever best-selling single by an ex-Beatle, selling over 5 million copies



No comments:

Post a Comment