Wednesday 28 January 2015

DIFFERENT STROKES




DIFFERENT STROKES

In today’s ( 28th January 2015 )  THE HINDU newspaper an article by Mr.Kolkar Mahabub Ali, speaks about ‘Different Strokes’. This is nothing but a simple stimuli managers use to motivate team members.
Dr. Eric Berne calls a stroke ‘ a unit of human recognition’.
A stroke can be verbal or non-verbal.
Positive strokes enhance an employee’s sense of self worth.
In their book, ‘The One Minute Manager’ , Ken Blanchard and Spencer Johnson said “catching the employees doing something right and instantaneously praising their behavior” would greatly motivate them.
I wish to say that this technique is “An old wine in a new bottle”. Because these kind of different strokes was told to me by my dad, about his own experiences in 1950s’ and 1960s’. He was working as a technician in Richardson & Cruddas, an European engineering company, managed by European Managers and later by Indian Managers, who followed the tradition of their predecessors in giving ‘different strokes’ to their employees. My dad used to say that while on duty, if any manager just stroked the shoulder of an employee, on their routine visits to shop floor, it is a guarantee that he will get a special increment in his salary! He too got such from his superiors.  I am attaching a photo of his mentor, Mr.H.V.Krishnaswamy, who is still in touch with me after my father’s demise. I too have learnt many good things from him.


My dad Mr.M.Devarajan


M/S M.A.Krishnamurthy, F.C.Mathias,H.M.Sonu Rao, Sundaram, R.C.Ramaswamy,H.V.Krishnaswamy & R.N.Vadival - mentors of my dad and mine too in R&C.

My dad's and my mentor Mr.H.V.Krishnaswamy

As I was also an employee in the same organization, I have my own experience of the ‘different stroke’ from my boss, Mr.A.K.Mudgal. If I finish an assignment given to me on time, he appreciates with small mementos like key chain or by verbal greetings.
My mentor in R&C Mr.A.K.Mudgal













It happened to me in Greaves Cotton from my mentors, Mr.R.Venkatachari, Mr.J.P.Dhawan, Mr.K.Balasubramanian, Mr.S.Girishkumar, Mr.A.A.Perera, Mr.K.G.Diwakar and Mr.Mainik Basu. I would have missed few others too.
Mr.J.P.Dhawan

In Schwing Stetter, where I completed my last tenure of employment, I had the same experience of different strokes from many of my mentors, from the top management to my immediate bosses. I wish to name them here: Mr.A.Sundaresan,Mr.M.Subramanian, Mr.A.R.Subramanian, Mr.V.G.Sakthikumar, Mr.S.Seenivasan ,Mr.Bisweswar Patra, Mr.K.Sethuraman, Mr.S.Vijay Babu .HR Head ,Mr.K.V.R.Kishore Babu’s style of ‘stroke’ is 5 Star chocolate and motivational books. I am proud to say that I am one such recipient!
Mr.A.Sundaresan
Mr.M.Subramanian

Mr.A.R.Subramanian

Mr.Bisweswar Patra

Mr.S.S.Seenivasan
Mr.V.G.Sakthikumar


Mr.K.Sethuraman

Mr.S.Vijay Babu


Mr.K.V.R.Kishore Babu











My conclusion is, 60 years back, no big management books or seminars to attend by a common employee and no training classes. But the rich experience, the then managers had from their mentors, made them to give ‘DIFFERENT STROKES’ to their team as an instant appreciation.

I attach one of my dad's and few of my mentor's ( of all the three great organisations I served )  photo here and miss few as I do not have in my archive.

I believe strongly that many others also  would have similar 'stroke' experiences like me. 


I appreciate  Mr.Kolkar Mahabub Ali for bringing to lime light , the simple stimuli mechanism of appreciation, to the young managers of present generation. 

2 comments:

  1. Involvement in work and natural interest in knowing different aera of
    job will make a individual more mature and wise hope you got exposed in your carrier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot dear Sabesan for your kind words. I believe you too would have such an experience with various peers, superiors from your long innings of professional service.

      Delete