Wednesday 18 July 2012

Forgotten Musicians of our families


Forgotten Musicians– Isaikalaimani , Vidwan Shri.E.M.Ramakrishnan  and Musician Shri.T.B.Gnanasabapathy.
In recent times I started writing about  mine and my close relative’s ancestors and their services to the society. In the process I have come across a book  in my own library  “ MATERIA MUSICA  -  FUNDAMENTALS OF SOUTH INDIAN OR KARNATIC MUSIC IN A NUTSHELL “  written  by  a close relative , Shri. E.M.Ramakrishnan., in '60s.



Let me tell about how I got  my short time association   with that great person.  He was my sister-in-law’s grandfather ( My younger brother Sri.M.D.Ramesh’s wife  Smt.Pramodhini’s )  and father of Smt.Bamini Rajaram ( wife of Prof. Shri.V.Rajaram ). He lived in Thyagaroya Gramani Street , North  Thyagaroya Nagar, Chennai -17, when my brother got married.
Shri.E.M.Ramakrishnan was  known among our relatives as a great  Jalatharangam Musician . But I found more about him in his book.
·         Composer - Director – Teacher of Indian music ( for the musical broadcast production of ) Lutheran Centre,Madras,1954 to 1966
·         Jalatharangam – Musician, Gemini Studios , Madras, 1942 to 1957
·         Music-Maker of certain Indian Documentary Films,1956 to 1958
·         Guest artist for jalatharangam to the New York Little Orchestra for the world premiere of HENRY COWELL’s Thirteenth Symphony ( Madras Symphony ) under the direction of THOMAS SCHERMAN , in Madras , 1959.
Following additional details are available in his book:
EXTRACT from “ THE MAIL ‘ newspaper dtd.September 20,1966 page 3
The title of “ Isai Kalaimani “ was conferred on Vidwan E.M.Ramakrishnan,Music Composer by the Luthern Centre, Nungambakkam, at a function got up to bid farewell to Mr.Ramakrishnan on his retirement from service.
Felicitation to Shri.E.M.Ramakrishnan  on his retirement by Shri.B.W..Chelladurai,Chairman,Executive Committee dtd.19th Sep.’66.
Mr.E.Ramakrishnan who has worked in this institution as Music Composer for the past several years retired from service on 9th September, ’66. He is very proficient in Carnatic music and has composed original music to about 300 lyrics. He is good at classical and light music as well.
He is a brilliant Jalatharangam player. He also plays several other instruments. He has been an asset to this institution and has contributed a great deal to the development of religious and secular music.
I wish him all happiness and God’s blessings in the days to come.
(Sd.) B.W.Chelladurai,Chairman,Executive Committee.
Another perusable  from Prof.P.Sambamoorthy, Head of the Department of Indian Music, University of Madras and Director of Sangita Vadyalaya, Madras. President , Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Madras.
His Certificate dtd. 22nd July ‘65 : I know Sri Vidwan E.M.Ramakrishnan for a long time. He is a good musician and plays on the Jalatharangam. ( Sd.) P.Sambamoorthi, Director Sangita Vidyalaya , Annamalai Manram, Esplanade, Madras-1

Henry Cowell was a great music composer whose Thirteenth Symphony ( Madras Symphony ) was premiered by The New York Little Orchestra under the direction of THOMAS SCHERMAN , in Madras in 1959.
He wrote from Shady, N.Y., U.S.A , on May 24th , 1959 :
Dear Mr.Ramnakrishnan:
May I offer my thanks to you for your splendid playing of the Jalatarang part in my Thirteenth Symphony? I have heard the record, and enjoyed your performance very much indeed. It is good of you to have taken the time and effort to have done this, and it is a very deeply appreciated.
Sincerely,
(Sd.) Henry Cowell
About him and his book in his own words – in the Preface of the above said book ( 18-3-1967 )
"I have written in a nutshell this book on music for those  interested in but require brief and simple tution on the fundamentals of South Indian or karnatic music. The essential materials presented in the book in response to the pressing requests from several students, friends and institutions are the result of my amateur musical experience during my academic years in the Madras presidency and Christian colleges, 1926 to 1930 ( the year 1930 diverted me from the B.A.class 0 and of years of practical experience as a professional performer ( on Jalatharangam or water-bowls organ ) , teacher, composer and director of south Indian or karnatic ( also titled ) music.
I have designed this book with appropriate charts to make understanding most easy for the inlanders and foreigners alike.
Materia Musica,  is the general title with the symbol Sakaraa borne by bevery one of my books on music including this.
 My sincere thanks are due to my daughters who encouraged and assisted me in fair-writing my manuscripts and correcting the typescripts."

Dynamic Printers, Madras -18 , carried out the printing of his book.
I am lucky enough to have a copy of the book , gifted to me by Prof. Shri.V.Rajaram ( son-in-law of Shri.E.M.Ramakrishnan )

In this context I would also want to say few lines of another musician , my grandfather ( my mother, Janaki Devarajan’s father ) , Shri.T.B.Gnanasabapathy .

 There is no history available in any document. By the word of mouth through my mother I know his talents as a musician, music teacher , Harmonium player for street plays , a photographer  and by profession a Draftsman   , worked in Government of India , Survey department. He lived in Mandavelli and we used to visit him when we were young. He is a story teller too.A group photo of him along with  British stalwarts in Survey dept. is in my archive collections along with a  Drafting Compass  and a glass cutter , he used for his photography.

I wish to  emphasize that our ancestors were really great personalities to remember  for their services to the society in some form and  share their life and times  to our descendants.

No comments:

Post a Comment