Saturday 16 September 2017

My School My Pride!

My School My Pride
The year 2017 is a Golden Jubilee Year for me. The number 50 has it’s own significance apart from just a number in between 49 & 51. The gold status given to this number 50 when a celebration held to mark 50th anniversary. It was a royal ceremony once. Now we celebrateGolden Jubilee for many occasions like 50th birthday, fifty years in professional service, wedding anniversaries, for building’s life cycle and national days and so on.
 As it was 50 years over since I passed out from my alma mater, P.S.Secondary School, Mylapore, Madras-4, in the year 1967, I  look into the year 2017 as my Golden Jubilee Year of celebration, in fond remembrance of my good, better and best times of school life.

No one can forget their school life, as school life was the best life and can be cherished forever, when we become old. Our school was a ‘temple of learning’ and it gave us good education, good conduct, good character and molded our mental attitudes and guided to live with principles in life. Our salutes to our great teachers for their relentless service in shaping students to become a good and useful citizen in future. School life was an important part of human life for all of us. In our schooldays , we were much joyful and friendly with all our classmates. We gave high respects to our teachers and it continues even today.
In the beginning of year 2013, a small group of  13 our classmates had a small reunion after 45 years of leaving the school, a well organized meet at school and in a hotel later. The news came in local newspaper! Click the link!

Reunion of 1967 batch students of P.S.Secondary School, Madras-4




 Unfortunately, the golden jubilee reunion could not be organized and we all miss it. Though we meet occasional school events like Independence Day, Republic Day, Teacher’s Day and Sport’s Day, by representing ourselves as old students, it becomes a difficult task to reunite all old students now for the Golden Jubilee Reunion! All of our classmates must be 65 plus and have their own concerns, but we really miss a great gathering!
Our school’s centenary celebrations was held in the year 2016 with a grand opening and valedictory functions, honoring old students for their big achievements in the field of academic, arts and sports. A memorable and once in a life time experience to me was, when I was called to be the Guest of Honor for my school’s Republic Day celebration in the centenary Year 2016!
Looking back to the year of my admission in class IV,  in the year 1959, our Head Master Shri.Athmanaba Iyer,a very strict disciplinarian, had a very good set of teachers under him. 

1959 school Admission Register.My name is there!

When I left the school, he too got relieved due to retirement. To name a few teachers, we used to refer them with initials, AR,KNB,KRS,MB,VA,VK,PNS,PSR,Ranganatha Rao.
A junior batch of 1969
All of them and others name I missed here were gems among the teaching community. We are now in this position because of them.  Friends list I skip here as it is a big list and I am keeping in touch with many of them. Without friends, there is no school life. Though we are away from each other, occasional meeting and chatting through social media keeps our friendship stronger forever. They will also agree with me and joins with me in my slogan “ My School My Pride”.
We look for our school’s prosperity and let it march towards the next centenary and our prayers are forever for our school.
M.D.Chander – Student of P.S.Secondary School, Mylapore, Madras-4 between 1959 and 1967.





4 comments:

  1. In this colour photo I am able to recognise the color dhoti from kallukkaran st.and the other one by the side of him used to walk very fast to the school fromthat area only.In black and white one was working in Amurthanjan and by the side of him from rakkiappa Murali street his father was working in Luz pharmacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reading and spotting some schoolmates. I know only them. Fifth one from the left standing behind is Cricketer Venkataraghavans brother, Krishnaswamy. He studied for few years and finished high school in main school.

      Delete
  2. Apart from the above some faces are recognisable and SB and dellibabu is missing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SB is intouch, but Dilli Babu is not in contact, as they moved out from mK Amman Kils street. Thanks for remembering the names.

      Delete