Monday 20 August 2012

Parent's 65th Wedding Anniversary Remembered

Wedding Anniversary of my parents remembered
15th August 1947 – no  one  can forget the importance of the date,  our Independence day.

 21st August 1947 – neither me nor my siblings   can forget the date . Yes, it was my parents wedding day, within a week after Independence.

21st August 2012 – My parent’s  65th wedding anniversary day.

Today both of them are not with us. But the lingering memories of their wedding day celebration , when we were young, is still in my memory. Nothing in a big way ! Of course we were a middle class happy family . My parents  used to go to the nearest  Sri Mundagakanni  Amman temple, in Mylapore, where we lived for generations, for an archanai to the deity. They have donated some money to that temple to perform pooja every year for my father’s birthday, which also falls in the month of August , (14th)
There is something special to say here. They got married in our ancestor’s house ( old no. 86, Mundagakanni Amman Koil Street , Mylapore , Madras ) , continued to live there, and me & my brother Gopinath were born in that same house .




About 46 years both of them lived together  along with us . My father ‘s demise was in 1994 and my mother left us in 2002. We perform pooja on their wedding day every year and we strongly believe that their souls would have attained the lotus feet of Sri Krishna.



 As a husband  and wife their names also coincides with the divine couple’s names. My father’s name  was  DEVARAJAN - which is the name of Sri Varadharaja Perumal of Kancheepuram. My mother’s  was JANAKI DEVI – which is the name of Sri Rama’s  ( another avathar of Perumal )wife.
  
There were ups and downs in their life  and they struggled a lot to up bring all the five children ( we brothers and sisters ) . They have aimed at, all of us to become a graduate  and we fulfilled their ambition.  They hung  a single  photo frame with  all the five of our convocation picture,  in the hall  of our Mylapore house .  But we only know their  economic  sufferings to make us to stand independently in the society.They have taken care of my Periappa's ( Dhoppa )welfare also as he had no kith and kin. What we are today is all because of them in yesteryears. Our humble  obeisance to our parents on this day of their wedding anniversary  and pray their blessings on all their children and grand children and entire family.

On 21st August 1947 , they two were  united by the grace of God. Now their generation counts 27 including , children, sons-in-law , daughters-in-law  , grand children and great grand children . A happy  big family living ever after them.

A family tree of Sri Devarajan and Smt Janakidevi  is under construction !

No comments:

Post a Comment