Friday 31 August 2012

Radio - a gadget loved in the past now remembered !

Radio – loved to listen in the past ! remembered now !
Radio , powered by vacuum tubes or otherwise called valves , is a 19th century innovation. We all may know that MACRONI was the first scientist to achieve successful radio transmission in 1895. He built a wireless system capable of transmitting signals at long distance – 1.5 miles.
In 1900 , Brazilian priest Reberto Landell de Moura transmitted human voice by wireless. Radio was used to pass on orders and communications between armies  and  navies on both side in World War I.
Some more information on Radio : AM radio uses amplitude modulation , in which the sound amplitude captured by microphone, proportionately transmit the signal with a fixed frequency.  Medium Wave  (MW )  is the part of medium frequency radio band used mainly for AM radio broadcasting vary from 526.5 KHz to 1606.5 KHz in Europe and extends further in America.  Short Wave ( SW ) is the lowest frequency band in the range of 1.8 MHz and 2.0 MHz.
Let us move to the old time radio we enjoyed until the Black & White Television came to India, rather I say  , to my home.




 

  All India Radio station  is still too close to my old house where I lived for 48 years. My father was having a GE make Radio receiver set with MW & SW band It was  small and round edged cute electric radio works well with external antenna initially fixed in our terrace from end to end diagonally to the height of next door first floor terrace.  Many kites during the summer holidays get caught in the antenna and wee too found difficult for kite running. But I loved that set very much and listen many interesting programs. 

To name a few : Madras A for all music ,Radio drama , Concerts, children’s program like “ Paapa Malar “, sound track of films in the title of “ Oli Chitram “ for an hour of a full length movie  edited. Madras B station , I used to listen for western music  for two days in a week with an hour and half program. My love started towards western music is by listening in 1960s’ and ‘70s’ in AIR , Radio Ceylon , BBC ( British Broadcasting Corporation )and VOA ( Voice of America ) . The very clear transmission of VOA , Radio Ceylon and BBC made every radio listeners to fall in love with radio listening.  When Neil Armstraog landed on the moon  in July 1969 , I was fixed to the radio of VOA to listen the live commentary of the greatest moment . Some processions and live programs were also captured for running commentary.
Above all many were interested to listen running commentary of cricket , played anywhere in India.  The ball to ball comments of some famous commentators were still recalled by cricket lovers ( of course I am not a fan of cricket ). Vividhbarati is the next best station for listening Hindi songs almost many times repeated in different captions.  BBC ‘s Tamizh Oosai, Radio Ceylon ‘s Ilangai Vanoli Nilayam and VOA were broadcasting Tamil programs in a time slot and I never miss a day.
AIR ( All India Radio ) is India’s National Broadcaster and also Public Service provider in Information, Education  and  Entertainment  to the masses since its inception and now having 277 “ Akashvani “ radio stations across the country. In olden times a monthly radio program guide used to be published in many languages. In Tamil it is called “ Vaanoli “ and my  Mandavelli Thatha’s place I always look for it when I visit there. They were the subscriber for many  years.
My GE make radio is no longer with me but a PHILIPS Radio Receiver  is with me , in god condition but without a working valve. This I took it from my father-in-law on antique collection interest. It may look odd , but even last year I tried to make good of the valve from Ritchie street in vain.
I love the voice of Mrs.Saroj Narayana Swami when he clearly read Tamil news  and Mr.Sahul Ameed’s in Radio Ceylon.Mr.Koothapiran was loved by children in AIR. Mr.H.Ramakrishnan and Mr.Poornam Viswanathan were Tamil news readers in Chennai Vanoli Nilayam .
Sri.Koothapiran

Sri Poornam Viswanathan

Sri H.Ramakrishnan












I had been to All India Radio in Beach Road in 1980s’ on a technical tour visit with Indian Standards Institution . Later developments were Transistor Radio and then Tape Recorder replaced the gramophone. Compact Discs , DVDs’ also become obsolete in front of  i-pads

Today’s telecommunication technology has been advanced to many folds and the 21st century inventions takes us to the other end of the world through a small chocolate size instrument call cell phone.

The end of Radio Receiver listening habit  is some what sad  for  oldies like me. In San Thome Beach  after getting down the long steps in the lane next to San Thome  Basilica, there was a Round Building with Cone Speakers fixed and put on in the evenings and mornings for the beach visitors . Love of listening  in the beach sands while playing around the building  was  a great experience which cannot be erased from memories.
Good Bye Radio!

12 comments:

  1. pls create your memory about doordarshan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Ganesh. Sure. I will create my memory on doordarshan and post it here. Thanks for reading my post.

      Delete
    2. sorry for late reply, I read your post 10 times, I listened radio from 1987 to 1998 ten years.

      Delete
  2. I really miss those days, thanks for the writeup!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Koothapiran's melodic voice in saying " All India Radio vin Chennai Vaanoli Nilayam still rings in my ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for remembering AIR's stalwarts and reading my post. Very nice of you.

      Delete
  4. Koothapiran and Jayamkondan duo were AIR Chennai real hero's and earned the name and fame as good as Tamil film hero's MGR and Shivaji Ganeshan in those days and living in the heart of Tamil population around the world even today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are true. Why not you share your good old Mylapore times? I am eager to read. Kindly share your blog, if you are writing. Thanks again .

      Delete
  5. I don't have the blog. I am a PIL. My comments will be seen in Twitter. In fact I am not tamilian. I am a Telugu person. I live in Hyderabad. I learned Tamil through AIR Chennai and Tamil in 30 days book in those days, after hearing koothapiran's melodic voice as anouncer, and I did write a letter to him in Tamil, and he did reply to me in Tamil only. Though I did come to Chennai several times but I didn't able to meet him in person due to his familiarity. Recently I recollect my memories and googled about him and find your blog. I came to know that he is no more and felt very sad, please convey my heart felt sympathy to his family members.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your reply and happy to know your interest in Tamil and your mutual communications with respected Koothpiran sir. I am fortunate to live in Mylapore, close to his home. But its long time since we moved out of Mylapore and no idea about his family. Your respects to his family, I admire. I used to write about Mylapore, where I was born, studied, married and lived for 50 years and so I love Mylapore of old Madras, now Chennai. Thank you. My contact: 9176033837.Mail:murugesanchander@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete